Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An organized entry colset....Finally!

I've previously expressed (maybe complained about)  my challenge of managing 5 people and all of their stuff in my smallish (under 1500 square feet) house.  I really am thankful for my house and know that there are many larger families who live with less space. In my attempt to remain content in my smallish environment, I try to make efficient use of all vertical space.

A few days ago, I finally got what I've been dreaming about for a long time. Something to help with organizing some of our things.  Something to solve my problem of an avalanche of stuff falling out at me everytime I open the door. A closet system for my entry way closet!

Here's a view of the closet with the door closed. It's in my entryway. You see it immediately to the right when you walk in the front door.




Here's what it looked like before it was saved from despair! Oh my goodness! It was so horrible. A jumbled mess of toys (see the box of Legos on the top shelf and the big box of wooden blocks balanced near the bottom?), baseball caps, tote bags, the cameras, etc. It was scary, I tell you!




Here it is all emptied out. A blank canvas ready for someone to come and create organizational magic!




And, here it is all built out! I thought about kissing the guy who built it. But, I thought it might freak him out. 





And here it is with lots of the stuff put back in. See, now, the tote bags neatly tucked away on the bottom shelf. The wooden blocks on a nice flat surface no longer threatening to topple out and break a toe. One shelf for printer paper, ink, and the like where I can easily access it whenever my printer is beeping that it's out of paper because someone forgot to refill it! Preschool items neatly sorted in see through bins so I can grab and go! 

Since we live in such a warm climate, I only had a small rod designed into the closet. We had no need for a rod all the way across as seen in the before photos. We rarely need a jacket and, even when we do, all we have are light weight ones which easily fit on a smaller rod in this closet.



It's a beautiful thing--an organized closet! By the way, the shelves are all adjustable so, as time goes by, I can rearrange them to suit my changing needs. It doesn't take that much to excite me, does it?

A happy, contented sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I know your pain! Although our house now is larger we have no garage!! NO GARAGE! Can you even begin to imagine some of the crazy things that are stored in the house?!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I cannot believe the difference. Truly amazing! I have closet envy ;-)

Michelle