Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hopefully Helpful

My guess is that most of my friends are already aware of this magic trick but since I just performed it, I thought I'd share for the benefit of those who may not know. :-)

When cleaning the microwave:

Fill a bowl with water and baking soda. Throw your dishrag into the bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes. Let sit for several minutes to let the steam do its work. Open the door and wipe out your appliance with ease! It will come clean so easily and the baking soda will take out the smell of whatever has been cooking in there.

For an added bonus: squeeze some fresh lemon (or orange) juice into your water before heating. Put the remaining pulp and rinds down the garbage disposal and grind. Your whole kitchen will smell fresh and clean! I'm sure a few drops of essential oil would do the trick as well.

Back to work....:-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ronette, well I have never heard this! THANKS! My microwave gets pretty yucky and takes forever to get clean!! I'm going to try this! :)

Anonymous said...

That is sooooo awesome!!!!!! Thanks for sharing that tip. I can hardly wait to try it. How did you learn that anyway?
Michelle

Imcombobulated said...

Super helpful! I'm going to try it out. Thanks!

Ronette said...

Yay! I'm so glad I could pass on useful information! :-)

Michelle, I think I originally learned it from the book "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean."

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is just sad. I actually have that book. Looks like I need to get it out a read it again.
Michelle

Angela said...

now what about those glass top stoves? i would love to get it to look brand new again!

Anonymous said...

I've heard water - but not with the baking soda! Great tip! Thanks for sharing it!

Debbie said...

Someone taught me this a few years ago...it works like a charm!