Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Legalism or....

I've been thinking about legalism again. What is it? What is it not? Why does the word get thrown around so much? It does seem to me that many Christians accuse other Christians of being "legalists" when they simply don't agree with the standard to which the latter live. 

True legalism is adding to the word of God. It is setting a standard that is extrabiblical. A couple of months ago I had a conversation on this topic with another Christian. This person was concerned that I am a legalist and that I lead others down that same path. I was taken aback by this and asked the Lord to seek my heart and reveal to me if it was truth.

After some prayer and soul searching, this is what I responded to my friend:

--I think you confuse my desire for obedience in my own life for legalism. Jesus Himself says, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching.” (John 14:23) And, the Great Commission even says, “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20) When we are touched by His grace-made new by His grace- we will desire to obey His teachings. 

Obedience without grace is legalism. Grace without obedience is antinomian. We, as Christians, walk the line between the two. We love the Lord and obey Him because of the grace He has shown us. I don’t seek to obey because I think I am earning some sort of favor with God. I don’t seek to obey because I want some set of rules that make me feel better about myself. I don’t obey because I’m trying to earn my way into His presence. I desire to be obedient because I love Him; because I am keenly aware of His grace. And, I fall short every single day which causes me to fall back on His grace and forgiveness.  I don’t see myself as having a voice of influence. But, if I do influence anyone, I would pray that it would be to obey what the Lord has for them out of an abundance of His grace. I don’t set up some extra-biblical rules and then place a yoke of following them upon others, or even upon myself.--

As I contemplate this topic once more, my prayer is that I will focus on my own obedience before the Lord and that I will be grace extending to those around me. Above all, my desire is for the Lord to continue to make His grace full in my own life and in the lives of His people.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Ronette. Your love for Jesus, and desire to continue to walk in obedience are beautiful!
Janna

Ronette said...

Thank you, Janna. Obedience from a grateful heart is so freeing!