Friday, January 23, 2009

School on the road

I continue to love the flexibility of being a homeschooler. I do admit, though, that's it is becoming more difficult as the kids get older. This week, we've been staying in a small town just north of San Francisco while my husband works in the city. (We're literally about one mile from San Quentin--California's most notorious prison. I was wondering if they had any room for......just kidding....:-)

Both kids are taking classes through The Potter's School this year so as long as we have a high speed connection, we're good to go. The challenge comes with keeping up with all of our assignments when we're away not to mention lugging an entire extra suitcase just to accomodate the sheer size of all of those high school text books! 

I really need to figure out how to keep our school routine while we're on the road as we will be traveling with dad at least three more weeks in the next two months. I also need to plan what we will do in the local area during those trips. We will be competing in two tournaments while we travel at the end of March so I know what those days will hold. 

I'd love to hear any ideas for keeping school moving while on the road. It was a lot easier when they were little and the work could wait until we got back home. But, I do love being able to travel together, make memories and experience life in different geographical regions!

We're looking forward to being home tomorrow and to our next road trip!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a homeschooler, (I don't have any kids)but what if you just copied the portions of the textbooks that you need and carrying that with you instead of lugging those heavy tomes around?
Just a thought.
Kristy in KY

Ronette said...

That's a great idea, Kristy! My oldest does have one of his texts on his computer so we don't have to lug chemistry around.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Copy like Kristy said, also, if the kids have laptops they can do a lot of work on the computer. Oh wait, I see you said that. Ummmm...I suppose I'm at a loss. Sorry.