Sunday, January 4, 2009

Our Friend

This morning in church we sang the hymn What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge,
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you;
you will find a solace there.

As I reflect on the words, I am reminded and encouraged that my fellowship in prayer is more than with the Holy God of the universe (as if that were not enough) but it is with my friend...Jesus. The one who pursued me. The one who purchased my fogiveness. The one who desires to meet me at any hour of any day no matter what my mood; no matter what I'm wearing; no matter if I've even brushed my teeth yet or not.

He's waiting. He's waiting to comfort me. He's waiting to counsel me. He's waiting to carry my burdens. He's waiting to listen to me. And...he's waiting for me to listen to Him.

It's only been a few days since I chose my "word of the year"--prayer. But, in those few days, I have spent a lot of time (relatively speaking) renewing my fellowship with Him. I'm learning to take anything to Him and I'm learning to anticipate His answers.

It promises to be a year full of growth as I draw close to Him in prayer. I'm so thankful He's waiting for me. He's waiting for you, too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!! When I hear/sing that hymn my heart is just comforted in knowing I have THE ultimate friend in Jesus. He'll never let us down. :) I love what you said today. Keep walking the walk, friend!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, me again. I'm not sure if you ever checkout the Girl Talk blog, but I really enjoy it. Today they posted a few links about prayer and I thought of you. :)

http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/2009/01/growing-in-pray.html