Saturday, October 4, 2008

Are We There Yet?

When I was a kid, every parent joked about their kids demanding from the back seat, "Are we there yet?" (Add the whining and imagine the question every 15 minutes.)

Yesterday, we drove 400 miles through the middle of California. Mile upon mile of pistachio trees, grapevines and cows--millions of cows! About every 15 minutes, from the back seat, came the question, "Where are we going, Mommy?" I must say that I apologize for rolling my eyes at my own parents for relating my own back seat antics over the years. Seriously, this should be used as a "technique" for getting the enemy to spill his guts. I wanted to bang my head against the wall. :-)

This morning I sit typing in Sacramento, across the street from the beautiful California State Capitol. In an hour we will take On the Loose to the California State Railroad Museum where he will spend a couple of hours in three year old heaven.

Later, we will make the hundred mile trek through the mountains and get that first view of our beloved Lake Tahoe. My mom is meeting us there this afternoon and we will spend a week sharing our favorite spots with her, playing games, laughing, walking in the brisk morning air and admiring the changing color of the leaves.

Family memories will be lovingly painted in our minds and, in the years to come, we will chuckle over the sounds from the backseat, "Where are we going, Mommy?"

<$BlogFeedsVertical$>

2 comments:

Ousizch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time, Ronette!