Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

As I've been praying about what my focus should be for 2009, one word keeps coming to mind. I've thought of other words, pondered other words, considered other words but this word keeps coming back.

The word I wish to characterize my life in 2009 is prayer. It seems so simple yet it something I continually neglect and something that shows my lack of faith in God's Word and in His promises.

My ladies' Bible study has been studying prayer for the past few months and I have been challenged and stretched as I contemplate how lacking my prayer life has been. How many times have I lacked wisdom because I simply did not ask? How often does peace elude me because I do not seek God in prayer?

I want to practice praying without ceasing. I want prayer to be my first thought no matter what the circumstance. I want to lift up my husband, my children, my friends. I want each of them, each of you, to know that they are in my prayers and that I labor for them before the very throne of God.

Andrew Murray puts it this way, "Though in its beginnings prayer is so simple that the feeblest child can pray, it is at the same time the highest and holiest work to which a man can rise. Prayer is fellowship with the Unseen and Most Holy One. The powers of the eternal world have been placed at prayer's disposal."

So, at the beginning of this new year, this feeble child of God commits herself to the high and holy work of fellowship with the Most Holy One and looks forward with great anticipation to the growth that will come and the answers that will be received.

Happy New Year, friends! I would love to hear the word you have chosen!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ronette, I love your word. In fact, it was in the running for my word. :) I'm anxious to see all that God shows you and does in your heart this year. I also love Andrew Murray's books! :)

Anonymous said...

I too have been convicted about prayer recently. That and being into the WORD.

I still do not know what MY word for 2009, but I do hope that I'll be praying more and taking the LORD's yoke and giving up my own.

Ronette, I sure do miss your comments. I know this is a different season of life for you and it is truly my selfishness for wanting to know you better! But just also want you to know that I really value you and your perspective. I hope that either on your blog or at HSS you'll be posting more "thinking" and spiritual things. You really are a treasure.

Amanda Towne said...

Hi, my friend!
Thanks for keeping tabs on me. :) I've never picked a word for the year, but I love your heart & what you had to say about prayer!

Ronette said...

Well, Candace, I'm in good company if my word was in your running, too. :-)

CJ, you are very kind. I've read how you're thinking about your word. My very close "second" choice was *health*...spiritual health, physical health, emotional health and relational health. I may end up choosing that for next year. I've actually been thinking of posting some type of spiritual musing once a week or so just to get the thoughts out of my head. At least I know one person is intersted in reading what falls out. :-)

Amanda, love you, girl!

Unknown said...

Ronette,
Prayer-another great word.
So many areas that we all need to address! Hard to narrow it down sometimes...

I'll be watching for your postings on prayer over the next 12 months.

Happy New Year!