Thursday, December 18, 2008

Word of the Year for 2009

At the end of last December, I joined my friends on the message boards at Five in a Row and chose a word I hoped to characterize my life over the course of 2008. My word was *compassion*. I knew that several people in my life would need an extra measure of compassion over the course of the year.

My dad and stepmom both dealt with cancer treatment. My aging grandmother needed more help. My sister had infant twins and is raising them on her own. The Lord impressed compassion upon my heart and gave me a desire to serve these loved ones trying to meet their various needs.

Through the time I have spent showing compassion, I am the one who has been blessed. I have been blessed by the generosity of my grandma. I have been blessed by time spent with my dad and stepmom. I have been blessed to have little Finn and Lucy in my life.

As I look forward to 2009, I have a word in mind. I would like to invite you to join me in choosing a word. Ponder it for a while. On January 1st, I will tell you my word and I would love to hear yours. I plan to share how my word is changing and blessing my life on the first Monday of every month and I hope that you will share with me how your word is impacting your life.

May our lives be changed as we purpose in our hearts to make a change!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing. I didn't pick a word last year, I couldn't think of one.

Brenna said...

Okay, I'm listening to a French recording and I'm tired of listening to all sixteen oral exams, so I decided to check out your blog. :D

And I've been thinking of my word, and this is what I'm choosing:

Submission.

This means not wanting to claw your brains out when you tell me to take a shower. This means changing On The Loose's diaper with a happy heart. That means, when you tell me to meet you at the table with math, I don't wait as long as I dare before giving up and bringing the book. This doesn't just pertain to my parents, of course. When Coach S. tells me to get up there and do "The Horse One" for him, I do it without a groan. When Madame S. tells me to check my workbook homework, I still do it, even though I really don't want to.

I feel that this is something I've been struggling with lately, so I pray that God will help me with it in 2009.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Footloose!! You have wisdom beyond your years! :) And I must add here also, that if you can gain a true understanding of and happiness in submission NOW, what a blessing that will be to you in the future!! (and those around you, like a husband!) :)

I'm thinking on a word...I didn't do this last year, but will ponder for this year...

Candace