Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Clutter...where does it come from?

Does it multiply while I'm sleeping? Does it invite its friends without consulting me? Is it a conspiracy of my children? Is it simply the product of 5 people and all of their stuff in my 1482 sq. foot house?

Whatever the explanation, it drives me crazy! Why does every horizontal surface in the house attract clutter like a magnet? Why do things not make it back to there designated place? Does everything even have a designated place?

Here's an example of what I mean--this is the floor to ceiling bookcase in my "school room":



It probably doesn't look horrible at first glance, but if we look a little closer:

Here is an assortment of cell phone and camera battery chargers:



And, here we see where I stashed a whistle that I did not want to hear during school hours and two decks of cards I was sick of picking up over and over again!



Here is the paper and envelopes I just purchased for our Christmas letters. Why did I put them on the shelf that holds the current year's school books? Because I had company coming and didn't want them sitting on the kitchen counter.



And, here is my stash of cookbooks and cooking magazines. The problem? I never use them because I hate cooking! LOL!! There are also three index card file boxes that have not been used in years but sit there anyway. Why?



And, for good measure, here is the top of the piano on another wall in the same room. None of us plays the piano...it just collects clutter. Here we see papers that need filing, assignment sheets and lesson plans in the making.



All this is symptomatic of the whole house! Lots of stuff. Lots of stuff out of place. I'm going to tackle these two hot spots and I'll let you know how it goes. If I'm not back soon, send someone in after me! It means I'm buried and the stuff won!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, so are you both pack rats? Our problem here is that I throw anything and everything away. Mike, on the other hand, saves everything. It's a constant battle between the two of us. I finally agreed NOT to open the closet he shoves his junk in and he agreed not to shove his junk in the kitchen drawers. (Although we both frequently break those agreements)

Now if I could just get around to cleaning the baseboards. sigh.

Ronette said...

Actually, I'm not a pack rat. ;-) In fact, the family goes running to protect their stuff when they see that certain "look" in my eye! They know I'm on a rampage and nothing is safe! LOL!!

I'm just one that stuffs the stuff when I'm not sure what to do with it. I find it later saying, "Oh! That's where I put that!"

Baseboards? I'm ignoring the cries of mine!

Mrs. Dole said...

Ronette ~
If it makes you feel any better, 10 people *really* create a lot of clutter, and even though my house is considerably bigger than yours, I think the clutter is worse! :-O Glad to know I'm not the only "stuffer"!

Ronette said...

Yes, it does make me feel better, Tracy. :-)

BTW, I still haven't tackled that bookcase. Why? I'm not sure where to put all the stuff I clear off from it.LOL!!