Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What not to say at Jury Duty...

I've been called to serve for jury duty now 3 times in the last 3 1/2 years. I don't mind it. I really don't. I'm of the mind that it is my civic duty and, in fact, a privelege I enjoy as a citizen of the United States of America. I don't complain when I'm called and I try to go in with a good attitude. I know that, were I on trial, I would want someone who was focussed and devoted to the process.

I mean, even if I don't get chosen to sit on a jury, I still get a day to sit in the jury room, sip coffee and read a good book without a three year old's interruption. So, today, I headed over to the court house to fulfill my civic duty.

Upon arrival in the familiar jury assembly room, once I had checked in at the counter, I found a seat and pulled out my book. (I'm reading Breaking Dawn right now for those who are wondering which installment of the Twilight series I am enjoying.) This jury room is actually very nice. Large, with comfortable chairs, nice tables and even workstations for those with laptops. It is even equipped with a wireless connection. The cafeteria is immediately adjacent and prospective jurors may grab a snack at any time.

With the first announcement of the morning, my name was called to report (with 59 other jurors) to department C-26. We all trudged up to the 8th floor wondering what would await us. We entered and the voir dire (fancy word for questioning the prospective jurors) began.

It went on and on and on...finally, the attorneys began excusing those whom they did not want on the jury and new prospective jurors were questioned. I found myself in one of those groups.

They day went on and I began sensing that the attorneys were coming close to choosing their final 12 and 2 alternates and I was sure I was going to find myself on this jury; on a case where the charges were kidnapping, car jacking and using a lethal weapon in the comission of the crime.

Then, it happened. A prospective juror sitting behind me said it. While being questioned about whether or not he believed he could be a fair and impartial juror, he drew on his previous work experience in the men's jail. He had worked in food preparation and had supervised a team of inmates. He commented that the defendant, although he was dressed nicely, had on "inmate shoes."

The defense attorney tossed his pen onto the table, rolled his eyes and sighed. The judge's face changed and she immediately called the attorneys to a "side bar" conference. When they returned, her glare was fixed upon the one who had made the fashion observation. She sighed and dismissed the entire jury panel (with her apologies for the extraordinary waste of time our day had become) except for the big mouth. She continued her fixed look of anger upon him and instructed him to stay behind.

I wonder what happened to him. Honestly, I was a little scared for him as I left. I know people come up with all kinds of crazy excuses to get out of their duty but this, obviously, crossed the line.

So, I returned home to my normal life and wait for my next jury summons curious as to what my next experience will bring. It is a fascinating step into our legal system and I am actually thankful for the opportunity to participate.

2 comments:

Amanda Towne said...

I've never been called for jury duty.

I hope you're having a great evening, Ronette!

Anonymous said...

I've been called twice.

Enjoy Breaking Dawn. I liked it. Heard a lot of negative things about it, but I think Stephenie Meyer remained true to her writing style and characters.