Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Twilight...

OK, I admit it! I have guilty pleasure...I have been reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Who would have thought that I would be reading, let alone enjoying, a series of books written for teens that weaves a tale of vampires and werewolves?

I'm currently on page 400 of the second book: New Moon. At this moment, I'm irritated with Edward (and hoping he redeems himself), feeling sympathetic towards Jacob and so very happy to see Alice! I'll have to go get the third book so that I don't have to endure a break in the action when I'm done with this one (which will undoubtedly be today or tomorrow)! I've actually had to buy them because, would you believe, there is a waiting list a mile long at the library and I'm not a very patient person.

I resisted this temptation when I heard my friends talking about the books. But, my sister called a few weeks ago so excited about the books she'd been reading. She admitted that she rarely even reads a book and she was just over the top for these. She asked me to read them and who am I to turn down my younger sister? So, here I sit...sucked into a "vampire book." LOL!!

When Footloose found out I was reading them she exclaimed, "Mom! You're gonna have nightmares! You're freaked out by vampires!" She then told Screwloose what I was reading and he cautiously warned saying, "Mom, you're going to have nightmares." Guess what? I haven't had a single one! So there! LOL!!

I've chatted with my sister about them now a couple of times. It's been great having something to share that is so fun. I've also had fun comparing vampire myths with hubby who is somewhat of a vampire movie expert. :-)

I've had a tough couple of weeks and this has been such a fun escape. Thanks to my sister for her enthusiam and to my friends who told me to go ahead and read it!

Edward? Where are you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard nothing but good things about these books, but haven't read them yet (You should SEE the waiting list at the library). I noticed the other day that Twilight is at Walmart for $5.97, so I am seriously considering buying it...but do I REALLY want the cheap book? If it's as good as everyone says I'll need the bigger sturdier book. HMMM

Oh well, I am reading "Loving Natalee" today, It's Beth Holloway's story about losing her daughter. So sad.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've had something *fun* going on!! :) Doesn't a good book just take you away for a few hours, or however long you can read it? I love it when I'm into a book so much that I can leave my problems behind in my memory for awhile!!

So, just out of curiosity, are these good in the sense that you'd let your daughter read them? Or maybe wait til later for her? (now that I'm typing this I can't even remember how old Brenna is?!?!) :)

Ronette said...

Sheri, get the cheap book. LOL!! The books are "twaddle." ;-) They're just fun, not worthy of an investment. Would "Loving Natalee" be too much for me? Sounds like it might.

Candace, she's 12 and, no, I wouldn't let her read them right now. There hasn't been anything overly graphic yet but they are teen "romance". She's still too young for that. (I'm referring to books one and two only. Haven't read three and four yet so I'll reserve comment about those.)

Brenna said...

I can't wait till I'm old enough to read these books that you love, yet call "twaddle". ;)

Anyway, read more so you can continue giving me the G-rated version of what happens!!

Unknown said...

Ronette,

I just started book 2 yesterday. Not quite the birthday party I was expecting!

My dd tried to get me to read these, but it took the FIAR ladies to convince me. Well, that and the fact that Eli wrote all in the library's copy of Twilight with a sharpie, so I had to replace it. He was really good about dodging the actual print in most places....

(Sharpie pens should be banned.) :o)

The wish lists for these on Paperback swap are hundredreds long.

Ronette said...

Lisa,

That birthday party was surprising to me, too. I have one chapter left in book 2. The wait list at for #3 is miles long and the three stores I went to yesterday looking for it were all sold out. Horrors! LOL!!

And, I'm with you! Sharpies should be banned! I do have to laugh, though, when I see pictures of your little guy after he's found one. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmm...on "Loving Natalee", there wasn't much in it that wasn't in the news when she disappeared a few years ago, so I wouldn't go out of my way to read it.

I finished it though, now I am onto "Sisterchicks Go Brit!" and hey, I ALWAYS love a good Sisterchicks book (PURE UNADULTERATED TWADDLE! That's what I'm all about! LOL)

Ronette said...

Well, Sheri, if you're all about pure unadulterated twaddle, you'll LOVE Twilight! LOL!!

I haven't read a Sisterchicks book in ages! I'll have to pick one of those up soon! :-)