Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight, the movie...

My dear husband is planning a date for us this afternoon to see Twilight. He may be the only non-estrogen producer in the audience but he's man enough to handle it. :-)

We're hitting the 3:30 show and then he's taking me out to dinner. I did remind him that a date involves him holding my hand and giving me a kiss goodnight. He promised to deliver!

I'll update later to review the film...

OK, we're back :-):

I have to admit that I was disappointed. The movie does not follow the book much at all. Don asked me when it was over whether or not I thought they left it open to make a movie of New Moon or if they had strayed too far away from the original story. I do think they left enough anchors in it to be able to do the second book.

The casting: I was very happy with Alice! She was the best cast character--most true to the book. I was also happy with the casting of Emmett and Jacob. The rest left something to be desired for me although Jasper was pretty close to how I'd pictured him.

My favorite scene: Eaily the vampire baseball game! It was even better than I imagined it. It really gave the sense of the normalcy of the Cullen family despite the fact that they are so not normal! The tension between the two covens was also played out very well.

My frustration: Most of the movie was invented. I understand the need to leave things out and to add things in to make it flow better in a two hour movie but there were just so. many. things. that were not right and they took away from the story, in my opinion.

I'll leave it at that for now since Amanda told me not to give any spoilers. LOL!!

It was still a fun movie and a fun date with my hubby. :-) I'm going to spend the rest of the evening finishing Breaking Dawn. I'd love to hear what any of the rest of you thought of the movie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting the book--don't give away any spoilers!

Hope you have a fantastic time on your date!

Tricia said...

In the immortal words of Napoleon Dynamite, who my children often quote: Lucky!

Anonymous said...

You know what?! It's MY anniversary this weekend and I can't go!!! (Waaahhh!!!) Oh well. I'm too cheap to pay full price. ENJOY!

Amanda Towne said...

Well, I'm just getting ready to start the chapter where they play baseball. :) So thanks for the lack of spoilers.

I'm not terribly impressed with the book. Apparently I have less teen angst leftover in me than I thought.

Anonymous said...

I just talked to some girls at work and they liked the movie, said it didn't follow the book (but do they ever?) but they felt there was a good opening for the second book (When Edward said "Everytime I leave you the werewolves show up" (Or something to that effect). I, obviously, haven't seen it yet, and unlike Amanda, I apparently have enough teenage angst left over in me still...because I really liked the books! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey!! My girl hasn't heard from Footloose and she's worried about you all. Checking in!