Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That it might impart grace to the hearers...

In recent days I have become guilty of allowing myself to get caught up in negativity. It has been discouraging and depressing. Why do I, as a Christian, slip into this? Because I'm a sinner--no better than anyone else--and I fall into temptations of all kinds.

What I have learned:

I have not been spending enough time reading my Bible. If I had, I would not have suffered the way I have. ("How can a young man [or a nearly 40 year old woman] keep his way pure? By living according to your Word." Psalm 119:9)

I need to tame my tongue and sit on my fingers. With the advent of easy access to all things online and the ability to not have to face each other, our fingers can fly and the damage is done the minute we hit "send." ("..but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and wilth it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." James 3:8-10)

Christians are not always gracious (and that includes me!) and that is damaging to our witness.("A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 14:34-35)

In order to live in unity, we must strive to build each other up; not tear each other down. ("Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths [or your keyboards], but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" Ephesians 4:28-29; 31-32)

I need to stick to my own business and let God deal with every one else. ("Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house [or website to website]. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to." 1 Timothy 5:13)

As I have reflected, I've realized that I don't need to say everything I'm thinking. I need to think before I speak (or type) to make sure that my words are seasoned with grace and that they are edifying. I need to be understanding and forgiving of others; especially giving my fellow Christians the benefit of the doubt. Just because something is true doesn't mean it needs to be said; it can still be gossip and it can still be destructive. And, most of the time, I need to mind my own business.

My thoughts here are directed at myself. I seek forgiveness for anyone who was affected by any of my negativity (including my own family) and ask that you would encourage me in being positive and loving.

My prayer is that those who claim Christ would interact with their brothers and sisters in love so that others will see us and know that He is merciful, forgiving and the One who reconciles!

(Just a note: the things which led me to these realizations were not related to any of my FIAR friends.)

With love in Him,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ronette, were you speaking to me here? LOL! You could have been! I, too, have been caught up in the negativity this week. Thank you for the gentle reminder...I needed that!!

Candace

Ronette said...

No way, Candace! I've never seen a negative thing come from you. You always make me feel positive!

For me, it's all coming from another source.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I soooo needed to read this! What a wonderful reminder of how we are to live as believers. Thank you for allowing God to impart wisdom through your words!